The Kathanne W. Greene Paper Award recognizes two USM students—one graduate and one undergraduate—for their outstanding essay or research article focusing on gender issues. ALL USM students in any discipline are eligible to apply with a paper written in the previous calendar year. Each award comes with a $200 prize.
This paper award is named in honor of Kathanne W. Greene, Professor of Political Science at the University of Southern Mississippi for her contributions to the Women’s and Gender Studies program at the university. Dr. Greene’s many university courses include American Government, Constitutional Law, Women and the Law, Women and Politics, Introduction to Women’s Studies, Feminist Research Methods, and Women in Popular Music. She has published numerous journal articles and book chapters on women and politics in addition to authoring the book Affirmative Action and Principles of Justice.
Application Instructions 2018:
- All USM students, graduate or undergraduate, of any gender identity, are welcome to apply.
- Papers must focus on gender issues.
- Papers must have been produced between February 2017 and February 2018.
- All papers must be authored solely by a student.
- For length, undergraduate papers should be 8-15 pages and graduate submissions 15-20 pages.
- Submissions must include a title page containing the author’s name, graduate or undergraduate status, home department, contact information, and how author learned about the CSRW prize.
- All submissions should be in Word or PDF format.
- The papers will undergo a blind review, and thus, no identifiers should appear in the body of the paper. Only the title page should include identifying information.
- Papers may be submitted by student authors or by faculty members who wish to nominate a student paper for consideration (with student permission).
- Email the paper to the Greene Paper Award Subcommittee Chair at Katie.James@usm.edu
Prize: $200 prize to both an undergraduate and a graduate student
DEADLINE: February 10, 2018 (by midnight)
Address any inquiries to the Greene Paper Award Subcommittee Chair, Dr. Katie James, at Katie.James@usm.edu or 601-266-5339.
Information on previous years' awards are linked below: