The maps known as the MDAH Historical Map Collection came together in the 1970s as a "special collection" of largely published, monographic maps of the Southeast region and the state of Mississippi dating from the late sixteenth century through the late nineteenth century. Considered to be the most significant maps held by the department, many of these maps could be found in standard map bibliographies for America and the large group of Mississippi city and county maps by a variety of publishers and a collection of early twentieth century U.S.D.A. county soil maps for Mississippi. It is important to note that this broad collection of roughly 1500 maps, with publication dates through the late twentieth century, is only a portion of the MDAH map holdings. Notably, maps found in many state agency official record series, manuscript collections and the U.S.G.S. topographic map collection are managed separately and not included in the Historical Map Collection.
"The MDAH Historical Map Collection on the Move: Preservation and Access,"
The Primary Source: Vol. 26
, Article 5.
Available at: https://aquila.usm.edu/theprimarysource/vol26/iss2/5